Who are the Friends of the Barberton Public Library?
The Friends of the Barberton Public Library is a 501(c) 3 volunteer organization that exists to help enrich the programs, services, and materials provided to the community by the Library. Through Friends support, additional programs and services that cannot be included in the Library's tax-supported budget are made possible. The Friends of the Library has two main sources of funding: the generous support of members who pay yearly dues and the revenues generated by book sales.
Who are the officers in the Friends and when do they meet?
Regular bi-monthly meetings are on the third Wednesday of every other month.
(January, March, May, July, September, November)
at 6:00 pm in the Spillette Meeting Room on the lower level of the Library.
All are welcome to attend!
President – Carol Rafferty
Vice President – Rhonda Garvin
Treasurer - Helen Gore
Secretary – Elizabeth Wilson
Directors – Marilyn Dickel, Natalie Genet, Janet Erich, Jennifer La Fleur, Conrad Storad, Kat Potts-Brooks
If you would like to help with book sales, please email us at email@example.com. Many thanks to everyone who is helping on the book sale committee.
Our Book Room Manager is Sara Vargo. This committee works on an ongoing basis to sort, organize, and price items in the saleroom. Lots of help is needed!
What do the Friends do?
- Organize and hold book sales and other fund-raising events
- Provide support to enrich the programs and services provided to the community by the Library
- Support the Library’s levy-funding endeavors
- Support the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten, Got Game!, and Craft Connections programs
- Provided two AWE Early Literacy Stations with support from the Barberton Community Foundation, which allows children ages 2 – 8 years old access to over 70 educational software programs and 4,000 learning activities
- Provided trade show displays, table coverings, and canopy for community events.
When is the next book sale?
The Friends of the Library will hold their annual Mum Festival Book Sale on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, September 22 - 24, 2023.
Friday, September 22, 2023 & Saturday, September 23, 2023: 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Books, CDs, DVDs, and puzzles are $1.00*
Sunday, September 24, 2023: 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Fill a bag for a suggested donation of $5.00*
Cash & check only. Vendors are welcome.
*excludes specialty items
FOL purple book bags are always available at the Customer Services desk for $3.00
All about Membership
- Contributing your support to a fantastic Library and its activities
- Receive a quarterly newsletter of Library news and events mailed to your home
- Opportunities for volunteerism with book sales and involvement and opportunities with the board of the Friends of the Library or committee participation
How do I become a member?
Membership starts at just $5.00 per year for individuals. Joining is easy. Simply fill out a membership application and return it to the Library.
Current membership fees are:
Individual - $5.00
Family - $10.00
Patron - $30.00 or more
Club or Business - $50.00 or more
Lifetime - $150.00 or more
Special Thanks to our Business Partners
Barberton Noon Kiwanis
Barberton Women's Club
Campfield-Hickman-Collier Funeral Home
Magic City Kiwanis
Rotary Club of Barberton Foundation
Spencer Tax Service
What are the benefits of membership in the Friends?
- You will know that you are contributing your support to a fantastic Library and its activities
- You will receive a quarterly newsletter of Library news and events mailed to your home
- Opportunities for volunteerism with books sales and involvement and opportunities with the board of the Friends of the Library or committee membership
The annual membership period is June to June
New members are always welcome!
What are the Little Free Libraries?
With the help of other community partners, the Friends have installed and work to maintain Little Free Libraries in several neighborhood locations. This is a wonderful way to share the joy of reading with everyone in the community! If you would like to help maintain Little Free Libraries, please volunteer to become a LFL Steward!
Do you accept book donations?
The Friends of the Library happily accept donations of gently used books, CDs, DVDs, and more. Please read our donation guidelines before dropping off your items at the Library. We can no longer accept magazine donations.
How else can I help?
Your donation is important, make a contribution to the Friends of the Library, a 501(c)(3) organization. If you would prefer to donate by mail, please make your check or money order payable to “Friends of the Barberton Public Library” and drop it in the mail to us at:
Friends of the Library
602 W. Park Ave. Barberton, OH 44203
Support the Friends by shopping with Amazon Smile. Be sure to select the Friends as your charity of choice.
Follow the Friends on Facebook.