Doing research online? Want good results? The following links are to proprietary databases with professional content. Please note that some databases require a library card to access from home.
Don't have a library Card? Apply online for an eCard and access the library's electronic materials such as eBooks, digital magazines, databases, and more. eCards will only be valid for electronic materials until valid photo identification and proof of current address is presented in person at the Barberton Public Library or Community Health Branch. Learn more about eCards.
Books and Authors
- NoveList Plus: Find specially crafted book reviews, book discussion titles, readalikes, and more.
- African American Heritage is a groundbreaking new digital resource exclusively devoted to African American family history research.
- Ancestry Library Edition: Ancestry Library Edition provides easy access to more than 4,000 genealogy databases with a single search. Coverage focuses primarily on the United States and the United Kingdom, although other areas are covered. Databases include the complete U.S. Census & Index (1790-1930), vital, church, court, and immigration records. In-library use only
- Family Search: View many databases of records from around the world. This website is a project of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- Fold3 provides convenient access to military records, including the stories, photos, and personal documents of the men and women who served.
- HeritageQuest Online: Find information on your ancestors in U.S. census from 1790-1930, 22,000 family and local histories, 2 million genealogy and local history articles, Revolutionary War Era Pension & Bounty-Land Warrant Application Files, Freedman's Bank (1865-1874), and more.
- RootsWeb: The Internets oldest and largest FREE genealogical community.
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps - A treasure trove of information, detailed maps at building level for more than 400 Ohio communities from 1868 to the 1960s. Negotiating the site may require some practice. Try the 1024 x 768 pixel size.Use a city and street name or city and building’s name where possible to search in keyword or limit your search by date.
- Find more FREE online genealogy resources by visiting the National Archives
- Consumer Health Complete: Information on health topics, including disease and condition reports, full-text articles and video.
- Medline Plus The National Library of Medicine’s (NLM) premier bibliographic database covering the fields of medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, the health care system, and the preclinical sciences. Contains bibliographic citations (e.g., authors, title, and journal reference) and author abstracts from over 3,900 biomedical journals published in the United States and 70 foreign countries during the current four years. Contains over 9 million records dating back to 1966.
Legal, Business, & Financial
- Gale Legal Forms: Thousands of legal forms available with more forms being added daily. Official, State Specific, Federal, Business, Personal, Real Estate and General forms covering hundreds of legal subjects and issues.
- Morningstar Investment Research Center: Data reports on more than 20,000 securities.
- Reference USA: Directory information for 11 million U.S. businesses and 120 million U.S. households. Search for businesses by SIC code, sales volume number of employees and more. Search for residence directory information by name, location or phone number.
- Small Business Reference Center offers exclusive full text for many top consumer small business reference books, as well as tools to address many small business topics. It includes business videos, a help and advice section and details on how to create business plans.
Magazines, Journal Articles, and Newspaper
- Akron Beacon Journal Full-text searching from 1997 to the present
- Academic Search Premier: The world's largest academic multi-disciplinary database, Academic Search Premier provides full text for nearly 4,650 serials, including full text for more than 3,600 peer-reviewed titles. PDF backfiles to 1975 or further are available for well over one hundred journals, and searchable cited references are provided for more than 1,000 titles.
- Consumer Reports.org: Online access to the leading source of expert reviews on products and services.
- Explora for Public Libraries: Easy-to-use features and reliable content from the world's leading magazines and reference books.
- The Plain Dealer Online: Access the Plain Dealer's new electronic edition. In-library use only.
- Chiltons Library provides access to repair, maintenance and service information on the most popular cars, trucks, vans and SUVs on the road today as well as many new vehicles! This continually updated resource provides step-by-step repair procedures as well as troubleshooting guides and diagnostic trouble codes, photos, illustrations, diagrams, and multimedia (videos and animations) simplify even the most complicated tasks.
- Free Driving Test: Free practice driving tests, handbooks, and FAQs about driver education.
- Hobbies and Crafts Center Browse “how-to” instructions and creative ideas to meet the interests of virtually every hobby enthusiast.
- Home Improvement Reference Center is designed to assist homeowners in do-it-yourself home repair, maintenance, and remodeling projects. Step-by-step instructions for thousands of projects in the areas of plumbing, outdoor, woodworking, electrical, and decorating are provided in high-quality PDF files. Additionally, thousands of articles from magazines and reference books provide tips and suggestions to supplement the step-by-step project instructions.
- Lynda from Linkedin Choose from more than 12,000 expert-led courses designed for any skill level!
- Transparent Languages Combining extensive courses and supplemental resources for over 100 languages, including English, Transparent Language Online is the most complete language-learning system.
Research and Learning Assistance
- Oxford Research Encyclopedias Digital encyclopedias that expand research on foundational topics, all written, peer-reviewed and continuously updated by leading scholars.
- Very Short Introductions Hundreds of Very Short Introductions available online – the perfect way to get ahead in a new subject quickly
Other Available Databases
- Clevnet Research Databases: As a CLEVNET card holder, you can access high-quality databases of full-text periodicals from within your public library and from home. Be sure to have your library card number on hand, as you may need to enter it to gain access to certain databases.
- Ohio Web Library: The Ohio Web Library provides access to its databases to all Ohio residents. Be sure to have your library card number on hand, as you may need to enter it to gain access to certain databases.